Friday, April 1, 2011

A Great Big world of Music!

This is a follow-up post to recommend a bit more music - cause there are just so much great stuff out there just waiting to be found, heard and enjoyed.

Today it is my turn to come up with some great artist I think is worth a listen and I've gotta watch myself here cause my love of music might run runaway with me ;) But before I get started on my list I just have to second my co-admin Krista in a few of her choices: Scott Grimes is really an amzing singer aswell as actor, Michelle Doyle's got the voice of an angel and The Irish Descendants are just amazing.

And now for my own list:

Russell Crowe and TOFOG. If you don't already know I am a huge Russell fan and I have been so for longer that I have been a Great Big Sea fan, but not only is Crowe an amazing actor (Gladiator, Robin Hood, Beautiful Mind) he is also a great musician. I first began to listen to his music around 2003 when I bought Virtousity a long time after it's release and saw him doing This Photograph kills since then I was hooked on his music too. The weight of a man is my favourite Russell song which he co-wrote with Alan Doyle - take a listen and see why:


Russell's wife Danielle Spencer is also a singer and she's got an amazing soft voice. I reccomend you look her up to. My favourite song of her's is Wish I'd been here.

A band I also wanna recommend is a band I have been listening to since I was a kid because of my mom. The name of the band is Runrig and the are from Scotland. I didn't really begin to love tha band untill around 2000 when the band changed lead vocalist. Runrigs music is deeply rooted in Scotland but got a bit of a rock sound mixed in with the old folk sound. Runrig takes pride in the old Gaelic language and atleast two songs on every album is gaelic while the rest is english offcourse. I have chosen you should have the opportunity to listen to one of the gaelic ones because it is one of the most beautiful fairytale like languages I've ever heard in my life. This song is called A Reiteach


The next artist I have chosen is a very natural choice since he is the "new" lead vocalist of Runrig. His name is Bruce Guthro and unlike the rest of the band he is not scottish. Bruce is born on Cape Breton island, Nova Scotia and he he never moved far. He now lives in Halifax with his wife and two kids. Bruce Guthro's only condition for joining Runrig way back when was that he would still be allow to make solo records and so he does. The Guthros are another family where talent runs in their viens. On Bruce's new albums his now 19 year old son Dylan Guthro is credited as a songwriter and he as preformed with his dad on numorous occasions since then. Here is father and son singing Rush


Another cool sing about Great Big Sea is that I through them have been introduced to a bunch of amazing artist and because of them I am as Sean McCann would put is been Corb'd, which to those you don't follow the shanty-man on twitter mean that I am a fan of Corb Lund. He is another great canadian (form Alberta) musician and if you don't know him already - look him up! This is him singing The truth comes out


And will we are on the country sounding stuff - Johnny Reid is another guy you need to check out if you don't already know him - thanks to my co-admin Krista I've really gotten into his music. This is my favourite song of his.


Now for a change in style. Jazz has always been close to my heart and my favourite young jazz artist is without a doubt in my mind Katie Melua - listen to Spider's Web.
Staying on female artist Sara Bareilles is amazing too - look her King of Anything up if for no other reason that her amazing voice and the piano play, which is to die for. Besides it is a song that describes me very well I might add.

Now for a few danish artists I think you should take a look at and I am staying with the females for now. Hush is a great band and lyrics are in english. This is my favourite song of theirs


Agnes Obel is another amazing danish singer. She lives in Germany and sings in english. Listen to her Just so!

And now to the men! The Romour Said Fire are the band behind the absolute best song to come out of Denmark last year. Listen to The Balcony.

Soren Huss of Saybia has got one of the most amazing voices in Denmark and this is my favourite song by the band. It is called The second you Sleep


This was it for now! Hope you got inspired to look up some more songs by a few of these bands.

Cheers
Karina <3

No comments:

Post a Comment