Tuesday, April 5, 2011

new blog from alan, posted today

TOUR DIARY -- APRIL 5, 2011 -- ST. JOHN’S -- IN BED

OK, it’s day 5 of lying in bed and the novelty has worn off. Who knew that lying down for this long could be so exhausting? Might as well make the best of it. This repose affords me an opportunity to comment on things that I normally go unnoticed by Yours Truly.

For example, I have watched more Daytime TV these past few days than all the previous days combined. Regis and Kelly have a great chemistry. Regis I particular is the last of dying breed of Entertainers. Not hosts, or singers, or actors, or reality show celebs, but Entertainers. That guy could keep a show or concert or event moving smoothly along during a volcano. Cinders and ash could be running down the steps of the studio or theatre and that guy would still drop a funny one liner while singing a song and interviewing a kid with a dog doing stupid pet tricks. Truly old school in the best way.

I wish the Ladies on The View would not all talk at the same time. Eva Langoria is on there now. I shook her hand at the Robin Hood premiere in Cannes. Is it unfair that some people are just better looking than everyone else?

Ellen is really funny and quite possibly the best comedian on a regular scheduled show. Very appealing attractive person.

Every news show and talk show today has done an extended segment on Dancing with the Stars. Wow. This bed rest should give me a chance to listen to radio, watch TV and read magazines to catch up on pop culture. Dancing with the Stars defies me. I should say that I have never watched that show. Now, not like a singing or a music Idol show, where we “cool” folks like me won’t admit to watching it, but secretly have opinions about who should win. I mean honestly, full disclosure, I have never seen Dancing with the Stars. It comes on opposite hockey or something, I guess. There are many shows and bands and forms of thrill seeking and entertainment that I do not enjoy that others love. But very few that completely elude me like this program, while the rest of planet Earth is fascinated with every second of it. I can only assume that there is something wrong with me.

Can someone explain it to me? If you like dance shows, wouldn’t you watch really good dancers dance? Is there something thrilling about watching otherwise not that busy celebs compete at something they are not really that good at? Is t like attending a Charity Hockey game where musicians play against the pros? Is it a voting show? Is that it? People dig it because they are involved in the outcome some how? Fascinating to me. I would love to speak to a single person who likes this show. And I should not have to look very far as it is one of, if not the highest rated show on Earth.

Oops, back to the View. Who are the Real Housewives of New York? A reality show? They all talk at the same time too. Is that a pre-requisite for The View? Hmm.

Enjoying the Canadian Election coverage, I must say. Though, unlike the US, Canada is seriously suffering through a drought of Political Stars. You know, dudes like Cretien or Trudeau, or Obama, or Mr or Mrs Clinton. Not one of the leaders of either party up here have the Star Power to take the country on his back. I miss that. I know I should be mature enough to vote for a party or a leader and his or her policies. I know I’m supposed to be smarter than to vote for a clever talker with a quick wit who smiles at the right time for the camera. But I can’t help it. These dudes bore me a little bit.

Hey, how about Regis for Prime Minister.
Cheers, Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment